Book Review: Carry On, Warrior


My Rating: 5

If you are in need of a good laugh- read this book. If you are in need of raw honesty- read this book. If you are simply in need of some relatable writing that will leave you laughing and crying- read this book.

Carry On, Warrior is a collection of stories that explore all of the ups and downs of motherhood, marriage, friendship, mental health, addiction, and family. Written by the founder of blog Momastery, Glennon Doyle Melton had a huge following before she even published the book, and after reading her real words, I can see why.

Honestly, I had never heard of Momastery or Glennon before picking up the book, but I started on one of the stories and found I could not stop. Glennon lives far from the perfect life, as do we all, but instead of being ashamed of her past (she suffered from addiction and bulimia) or trying to put up a front about how put-together she is (she often has stories about her depression or lack of housekeeping skills), she literally embraces her messy life and makes you want to do the same.

After reading her words and thoughts, she truly inspired me to want to be more real and authentic in my own life, as it does me no good to try to appear to have it figured out or that I’m doing okay when I’m not. Whether you are married and have kids or not, I feel like you can still benefit from her insights, words of wisdom, and ideas about life and love.

Overall, this book is quick, funny, heartbreaking, inspiring, real, raw, and authentic. Made up of short snippets and chapters, you will gobble it up and love her every word. I can’t wait to read more from this author. In the meantime, I’ll be embracing my messy, beautiful life.

-Laura

Labels: ,