Book Review: Truly Madly Guilty


My Rating: 2

So I’m going to be completely honest with this one- I haven’t been this disappointed in a book in a long time.

After reading and loving Big Little Lies, I knew that I wanted to read another one of Liane Moriarty’s works when I saw it. Truly Madly Guilty started out interesting enough, it hops back and forth between present time and what seems like a few months ago at a friendly neighborly barbecue. We are made aware early on that something traumatic happened at the barbecue but must try to put the pieces together throughout the story to discover what that was.

True to form, each chapter is from a different character’s perspective, rotating mainly between the six adults that were there that day, each trying to come to grips with what happened and how it affected their lives, and marriages, forever. The mystery intrigued me enough to keep reading, but to me it was really slow and took a lot of effort to keep pushing on. About halfway through, you finally find out what happened at the bbq, and I was basically done reading at that point. I did end up finishing it but it felt like a chore.

Overall, I was really bummed out about this book. I loved her other book so kept hoping this one would get better, but… it didn’t. The twists were so slow in the making and then they weren’t that shocking once they did happen. The characters weren’t very likable and the mystery wasn’t that huge. Sorry to be so negative! When it comes to not being a fan of this book, I am truly madly guilty.


-Busy Brunette 

Labels: ,